Castillo De San Marcos National Monument

The Castillo de San Marcos, built 1672-1695, served primarily as an outpost of the Spanish Empire, guarding St. Augustine, the first permanent European settlement in the continental United States, and also protecting the sea route for treasure ships returning to Spain. Although the Castillo has served a number of nations throughout its history, it has never been taken by military force.During the 18th century, the Castillo went from Spanish control to British and back to the Spanish, all by treaty. The Spanish remained in power in Florida until the area was purchased by the United States in 1821. Called Fort Marion at this time, the Castillo was used by the US army until 1899. The Castillo was made a national monument in 1924. 

NPF'S Impact at Castillo De San Marcos National Monument

  • The American Latino Heritage Fund is working closely with the National Park Service on American Latino Youth Summits designed to educate and involve younger generations in historic preservation in their...

Photos from Flickr

    Photos from Park Visitors

    Shared Videos